Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Hallowe'en!


What a difference from a year ago today.  Outside, it is sunny, breezy, and a mild 12 degrees.  I had my cup of coffee sitting on the front step this afternoon.  A rogue pansy is still thriving at the edge of the driveway.  My kale and Swiss chard is still growing, as are little clusters of dandelions around the base of the raised beds.  Birds are singing.  I can hear little chickadees at the back of the house.  The grass is still green, and I have several little pumpkins sitting on the front step to mark the holiday.

Last year on Hallowe'en, it was around -22 degrees (I should have recorded the actual temperature) and we had a half foot of snow.  Needless to say, there was little, if any, door-to-door trick-or-treating!  No doubt that was disappointing for the little guys, though I suspect more than a few of their parents breathed a sigh of relief.  There were several organized Hallowe'en events in town for the children, so costumes could still be worn and candy collected.

No pumpkins last year.  Instead, I made this for my front step:




No comments:

Post a Comment