Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Seed Swaps and Exchanges


Last week, I mailed in my contribution to the 3rd Annual Canadian Autumn Seed Exchange.  It is hosted by a woman named Nicky who lives in Ontario and has a great gardening blog.  Participants send in a maximum of 40 packets of heirloom and/or open pollinated seeds to exchange, along with a list of wished-for seeds and return postage.   This year's exchange was posted on various gardening forums two weeks ago, and already 44 people have joined in.  It is my first time participating, and I am eager to see the different varieties of seeds I get back.  I'm hoping for lots of beans.

Details about the 3rd Annual Canadian Autumn Seed Exchange can be found HERE.


Other Canadian-friendly seed exchange sites

Canadian Exchange on GardenWeb  - the best year-round exchange group I've found online.

The Secret Seed Exchange - Canadian, a basic mystery swap modelled after "Secret Santa" exchanges. 

Seeds of Diversity  - Canadian, must be a member to receive their annual trading catalog.

Seedy Saturdays - in-person events held across the country.  This list is updated throughout the year.

I Dig My Garden - in the Trading Bazaar thread

Folia - under Seed Swaps in the top menu

Free Heirloom Seed Swap - not the most convenient for Canadians, in my experience, but I have done a few trades.  

Canadian Heirloom Seed Swap - group on Facebook.



~*~  For a list of Canadian Seed Libraries, check out this LINK. ~*~



No comments:

Post a Comment